Photo

What can happen when you get the wrong architect...

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Thommo

Thommo

Duff

• Minions
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12505 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

http://www.ipswichgo...f-ipswich-open/

Yet he still seems to be picking up work!

This was a great little course before Grady got hold of it, his outrageously dumb redesign resulted in a huge exodus of members, made maintenance budgets skyrocket and it was just horrendous design no matter what your tastes.
I'm not an alcoholic, I only drink when Joel Selwood ducks his head

#2 MatthewM

MatthewM

Duff

• The Architects
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9307 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:54 PM

Were there any other factors behind the demise of the Club?

"It's balancing time at home and working out when to practise and when to spend time with them. Everybody who has kids knows from the first one it throws a fair spanner in their works. You realise how time-rich you were before, and how little time you've got afterwards. You have to get better at time management, which never really mattered before, and now it does." - Geoff Ogilvy

#3 Thommo

Thommo

Duff

• Minions
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12505 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:06 PM

Depends who you talk to, but not really imo.

In a city of close to 200,000 people, it was really the only proper members golf club.

I played there as a junior at school and it was thriving, and was still going strong as recently as about 2005.

They were sitting on really prime land, and as far back as I can remember there was talk of developers trying to buy the front 9 (which was the better of the 2 nines)

But the club was making good cash from pokies, had a thriving membership and never really needed to.

Eventually for unknown reasons, they caved and sold off the front 9. They owned enough land out the back 9 and beyond for at least another 18 holes but in the end they invited Grady to create a brand new 9 and re-route and redesign the existing back 9.

The course had a huge membership aged 50+ and a huge associates membership as well.

What Grady created was some of the worst design you have ever laid eyes on.

Darius Oliver gave it a reasonably accurate review

http://www.planetgol...dex.php?id=1447

They have basically been chasing their tails ever since, but such was the mass exodus of members in such a short time, and the complete lack of visitor play due to the ridiculous golf course and I'm quite surprised they lasted this long

Shame after 116 years...!

#4 MatthewM

MatthewM

Duff

• The Architects
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9307 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

From that article - 

Sadly, for members of the Ipswich GC this is an extremely disappointing modern course with the decision to engage a celebrity golfer with apparently little experience in design or passion for great golf architecture, backfiring spectacularly. The most positive thing one can say about Grady’s work here is that not all the holes are awful. Some, like the short 3rd and short 14th, have reasonable green sites and work on a visual level while the last third of the par five 2ed is effective enough.

and

The bunkering, the mounding and the shaping around the greens are all ordinary, and the lack of any strategic arrangement leaves us concerned that, long term, the members are going to tire quickly of this track

"It's balancing time at home and working out when to practise and when to spend time with them. Everybody who has kids knows from the first one it throws a fair spanner in their works. You realise how time-rich you were before, and how little time you've got afterwards. You have to get better at time management, which never really mattered before, and now it does." - Geoff Ogilvy

#5 the poo

the poo

Coopers

• Minions
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1328 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

I think this picture says it all

Ipswich2.jpg

#6 mac

mac

Victoria Bitter

• Minions
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

I bet the people who made the decisions at Ipswich thought the new Royal Queensland was a stupid course.

Tom Doak told me years ago that 'every course I have seen that gets a big financial windfall from the sale of land and the opportunity to build a new course makes a mess of it'

The experience here in Australia is, sadly, that he is right. In part club's make a very bad decision right at the very beginning of the process.

#7 N & G Ablett

N & G Ablett

Cascade

• Minions
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:09 PM

One of the reasons I left Brisbane Golf Club was the fact that I hated about half the course...no surprise it was the "new" stuff I just couldn't stomach. I think Grady was involved with 11, 12 and 13....3 of the worst holes I have ever played. 3, 4, 6, 7 and 8 were also offensive. And then they engaged Watson to "fix" 9....bloody hell!

"We are Geelong the greatest team of all"

#8 mac

mac

Victoria Bitter

• Minions
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

And I will bet many at Brisbane GC think RQ silly too. All those bunkers in the fairways and no rough and silly greens.

#9 MatthewM

MatthewM

Duff

• The Architects
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9307 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

I wonder what the member demographics were at Ipswich, what sort of Younger member activities group and communities, and other incentives were undertaken to improve the position of the Club prior to it's demise.

#10 Thommo

Thommo

Duff

• Minions
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12505 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:01 AM

The club was strong before the course change, but had a majority of older members.

Once the course was done, even the greatest community and young member engagement couldn't save it.

It is incredibly bad, unplayable for people who can't carry it 180+ and just boring and frustrating for a normal young golfer of average ability.

#11 Jack

Jack

Duff

• The Rules Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10352 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

Is the Bank selling them up Thommo?

#12 Firey

Firey

WOOF!

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12540 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

Based on the article I linked to in the Kingswood/PCGC thread it is an Administration Jack.

Guessing that they had too much heat (or forecast disaster) and the Directors beat the bullet by deciding to close it up before a financier did it for them.

Am I pleased to see you or did I just put a canoe in my pocket?

#13 Dennis

Dennis

TGF Ambassador

• Minions
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6854 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

I think this picture says it all

Ipswich2.jpg

The bunkers at the rear look like Bob Shearer specials

Quote from dc68 on another forum.....

That's why you get so many allowances... You are left handed AND fat.

#14 sms316

sms316

Icon

• Minions
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4132 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:31 PM

@humpybong57 Do you feel any sort of responsibility for the death of Ipswich GC? 3 holes I am disgusted with. More to story

So what does this mean?

#15 andigold

andigold

Duff

• Minions
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2980 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:17 PM

That after his 57th bong, humpy makes little sense?

:)
Note - I am not bullying you

#16 Scottt

Scottt

Duff

• Minions
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5659 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

What the %$#@ is up with his username?

Funny thing was him tweeting criticism of mac's design work a few months back.

#17 Firey

Firey

WOOF!

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12540 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

That after his 57th bong, humpy makes little sense?

:)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Genuine coffee spit there.

Am I pleased to see you or did I just put a canoe in my pocket?

#18 Thommo

Thommo

Duff

• Minions
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12505 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:23 PM

And I will bet many at Brisbane GC think RQ silly too. All those bunkers in the fairways and no rough and silly greens.

Doubt it.

BGC lost at least 2 dozen members to RQ since the revamp!

#19 Scottt

Scottt

Duff

• Minions
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5659 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

On that topic, what sort of condition is RQ in over winter? Thinking of ducking up for a weekend mid July or end August.

#20 mjc

mjc

Corona

• Minions
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

We're there next week so can let you know. It's always pretty sharp though.

#21 Thommo

Thommo

Duff

• Minions
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12505 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

On that topic, what sort of condition is RQ in over winter? Thinking of ducking up for a weekend mid July or end August.

Not much variance Scottt, just didn't need to be mowed as often.

Our winters aren't exactly cold..!

#22 Thommo

Thommo

Duff

• Minions
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12505 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

Interesting little quote from the Super at BGC on another forum...

I received a blank envelope by post a couple of weeks ago with a couple of print offs of Planet Golf's reviews and recent blog notes of Ipswich GC. Only that inside, nothing else. A few clubs received them apparently.

Clubs not doing due diligence are now having it done for them by stealth :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users